Preventive Health Care and Vaccines
The doctors and staff at Pearland Pet Health Center know how important your pet is to you. Our goal is to provide the best quality and compassionate care. We believe that with regular visits, we can lengthen the life of your pet through early disease detection and treatment.
An exam by the veterinarian is one of the most important things you can do for your pet. We recommend they have this done routinely twice a year. Pets age very quickly, so 6 months to them would be the equivalent to 3-4 years to us. They also cannot speak, so they cannot tell us if they have been feeling off, or been having pain, so a physical exam can tell you a lot about the health and well being of your pet. Along with a vaccine protocol tailored to your pet's needs and lifestyle, we recommend semi-annual fecal checks for common parasites as well as annual bloodwork. A full chemistry panel including a CBC, tests for organ functions, and glucose can tell us a lot about how your pet's body is functioning. Pets over the age of 5 are also recommended to have thyroid function tested yearly.
We offer vaccines to help protect your pet from diseases and viruses prevalent in our area. Here is a list of the vaccines we carry and the frequency recommend for them:
- Distemper/Adenovirus/Parainflenza/Parvo (DHPP): yearly or every 3 years*
- Rabies: yearly or every 3 years*
- Leptospirosis: yearly
- Bordatella: every 6 months
- Canine Influenza (H3N8 & H3N2): yearly
- Lymes: yearly for dogs at risk
- Rattlesnake Vaccine: yearly for dogs at risk
We offer a 3 year vaccine for both our Rabies and DHPP vaccines for dogs. A dog is eligible for a 3 year Rabies vaccine one year after they have received an initial vaccine, no younger than 14 weeks. The 3 year Rabies vaccine can only be given if the pet comes on or before the Rabies booster is due.
If the pet is late they will receive another 1 year vaccine and can try again the next year, provided they are on time. The 3 year DHPP vaccine can be given to any dog that has received their puppy series of DHPP (at least 3 vaccines) followed by one yearly DHPP as an adult. After that point the owner can choose to do a 3 year DHPP at any time, at any age.
- Rabies: yearly
- Rhinotracheitis/Calicivirus/Panleukepenia (FVRCP): yearly
- Leukemia: yearly for cats at risk
All of our feline vaccines are from the Merial line called Purvax. They have been proven to be the safest vaccines for cats on the market today.
Our clinic has a well stocked pharmacy, complete with prescription medications, heartworm preventatives, flea/tick preventatives, shampoos, Hill’s prescription diet food, HomeAgain microchips and dental maintenance products.
Although we will approve an online prescription for a pet current on their yearly exam and any necessary tests, we do not recommend getting your pet's heartworm and flea preventative online. Some online pharmacies are not getting their products directly from the manufacturer and therefore cannot guarantee the effectiveness of the product. We carry some of the best products on the market in-clinic, and while we cannot compete with these "great deals" that can be found online, we often have amazing rebates and incentives that go along with the products we carry.
Here is a list of the preventatives we keep in stock:
- Bravecto (flea and tick preventative, given orally and topically every 3 months)
- Proheart (heartworm preventative, given subcutaneously every 6 months)
- Sentinel (heartworm preventative + flea birth control, given orally monthly)
- Trifexis (heartworm preventative + flea preventative, given orally monthly)
- Bravecto (flea and tick preventative, given orally every 3 months)
- Revolution (heartworm preventative + flea preventative, given topically monthly)
If you must get your products online we encourage you to get them from our online pharmacy.
The link can be found on our home page titled "Home Delivery."